Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I came, I saw, I failed

It took me a lot of courage to actually pen down what I term as 'the biggest setback/failure of my life'. I mean c'mon how many of us can actually document and share one's own failures, leave aside even to mention about it to others. I bet many of us dont even share our own failures with ourselves (for fear of being sounding demeaning/embarrassing to oneself). You dont agree? Consider this - you commit a faux pas in a social gathering (say you were using the damn fork in the right hand in an elite dinner party with some of the most sophisticated and hypocrite people around(yeah, the sophisticated are always hypocrites)). You really dont realize this until the next day when one of your close pals points it out to you (he was actually nudging you all along in the party and you thought he was trying to direct your attention, as if that is required, to the most gorgeous babe in the party wearing that red hot..okay okay I guess I should stop here as my blog might be read by some of the 'sophisticated' people too!!). So in short, it takes guts to write about your own failures on the world wide web which currently is being surfed by 3.142857 billion populace (even if a fraction of it hit my blog site, you can appreciate what I am getting into here!).If anyone of you wants to challenge that statistical figure of 3.14ish, the logic is simple -
the world's populace is spread around the circumference (C) of the planet and since world wide web is used by us homo sapiens across the diameter (D) of the globe, the ratio C/D is always constant and is given by the famous mathematical irrational constant pi which equals 3.142857 (see, we never understand mathematics, we just get used to it, so pls dont wreck your brain to understand the logic here. The WWW is indeed surfed by 3.14ish billion people, if its less, some of them might be offline now, and if its more, some of the new surfers might have joined in into the big bad world).

Alright, back to the topic - my biggest failure in my life is (pls dont throw the mouse or the keyboard) - not being able to fly a kite. Yes, that’s a fact and I confess to the entire world (not just to the 3.14ish people) that I HAVE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO FLY A KITE. Right from my childhood days, I have been fascinated by how a kite flies and flies so high. When I reached a boy's age (as defined scientifically), I attempted many a times to fly the damn thing but all in vain. My object of envy was my big bro who seemed to be a born kite flier. He would merrily ask everyone to come to the terrace to watch the show as he would fly the kite (I was always the one who used to hold the kite for making it take off in the sky with the other end of the string, the real control panel of the kite, in my bro's hand). In my desperation, a couple of times I sneaked out and tried to fly the UFO (well, for me it was a UFO as it was mysterious, unconquerable and no one ever spotted it flying ...with me on the other end that is!). All my juvenile attempts were met with unequivocal disaster with each time the flying thing heading down towards the ground (as if the gravity had suddenly tripled and the wind forgetting it exists). The only high points in my kite flying venture were the fleeting moments I used to get to hold the control panel (along with the high tech chakri that holds the ubiquitous manja) and getting directions from my bro as to how to maneuver the kite in the sky(the thrill you get when you hold the manja of a high flying kite is indescribable what with the high tension in the thread giving you the feel that you actually are in control of a Sukhoi like fighter aircraft).

So here I am writing about the agony, the childhood trauma (pls dont shrug it off, it's really that way for me!!). But in spite of my limited vicarious memories about the flying experience, I have not given up yet. I would be going for my nth attempt to fly the thing and if I ever succeed, let me declare it in writing that it would be the most ‘flying’ event of my life.
Amen!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

this was virtuous..
loved ur craftsmanhip in using phrases like:
"3.14ish" - I share my pathos with poor Eratosthenes
, similes like 'control of a Sukhoi like fighter aircraft' for KITE :)

aand last but not least ur
'childhood trauma'
My best wishes are with u...Sir..get goin..

Gaurav said...

Good ! I have some company in the Kite department :) .I've been a part of those gangs which run after the kites after the enemy aircrafts shoot them down, but never picked up very well on the flying skills.
Now you can first learn urself and teach some "patanbaazi" to Chiku as well !

Anonymous said...

Duede, Good narration of your failure. I would not say this as a failure. To learn Kite flying i would like you to inviite Ahmedabad which is famous for Kite Flying festival scheduled on Sankranti (14th Jan & 15th Jan). I have been missing this festival since long long time. But i admit i am a good kite flyer and i hopefully i have not forgotten the art.

Wish you all the best for your success over here.

Cheers

Piggy Little said...

u wud identify a lot with this personal failure of inability to fly kites with the protagonist of Khaled Hosseni's The Kite Runner :), a book which is tangential to this current post, but certain words which u use: "desperation", "unconquerable", "unequivocal disaster" ...etc etc....all somehow remind of the book. esp. "childhood trauma" :)